Vaavud Smartphone Anemometer Accessory
This is a nice "electronics-less" new device by Vaavud, located in Denmark. It consists of a rotor that snaps into the headphone jack of your smartphone and, with a simple app, displays wind speed information. Very cool. It is also GPS enabled and connected to Weendy, so you can share your information with the world. Welcome to 21st century hand-held wind speed monitoring.
Works with iPhone and Adroid smartphones and tablets.
- Vaavud is the word for wind, in the language of the Norse Gods, according to Norse mythology.
- The Vaavud wind meter comes with a free app for iPhone or Android, and it will be possible for thid party apps to integrate the Vaavud functionality into their user interface
- The Vaavud app uses the magnetic field sensor that is built into all modern smartphones. The wind meter itself contains no electronics; just a couple of small magnets. The rotations are then measured with the magnetic field sensor and converted to wind speed
- the technology is Patent Pending
- the Vaavud anemometer is very durable, and in the unlikely event that sand, dirt, etc. should get into the moving parts the snap-fit design allows for easy disassembly by the user for cleaning with water.
- the electronic-less design also means fewer moving parts and less chance of failure
- the spinning cups are insensitive to the direction of the wind, regardless of how the user holds the device.
|SENSOR TYPE||2-Cup plastic rotor; Does not care where unit is pointed.|
|SPEED RANGE||2 - 25 m/s ( 5-55mph)|
|DISPLAY||Works with Android or iPhone App - download from iTunes. Smartphone/Tablet not included!|
|UPDATE RATE||Approximately 1Hz (1 second)|
snaps into the headphone jack of your smartphone or tablet
|ACCURACY||approx. 4% of reading|
See Vaavud.com for more details.